Six Vital Signs You should Consider Seeing a Counselor
By integrativetherapyla | On 07/06/2017
All of us have experienced periods of grief, stress, conflict and sadness at some point or the other in our lives. Generally, people get rid of these issues on their own but if the problems continue to persist and get worse, it is time to seek professional assistance. Conflicting with the popular belief, one does not necessarily have to go crazy in order to undergo therapy, neither does counseling deem essential to deal with every other issue of life. So, how can we understand that it is time for us to go and see a therapist?
After conducting extensive research with the noted organizations offering services of individual counseling in Los Angeles, we have come to know about six crucial signs that substantiate your need for a therapy. Let us take a close look at them as they are mentioned below in points:
- Are you unable to enjoy family get-togethers and friendly outings like before? If yes, then it stands to be a clear indication that things are not right. Feeling disenchanted or experiencing an overall sense of dissatisfaction and unhappiness for prolonged time periods prove that you require support, in order to acquire clarity or new perspectives.
- Individuals, who are not able to control their emotions might suffer from mental illnesses. Eating or sleeping abnormally, withdrawing from social gatherings and feeling low without any definite reason shows that something serious is going on and it may heavily take a toll on one’s life.If all the stated signs compel you to have suicidal thoughts or question your existence, it is time to reach out for specialized help.
- Friends and relatives are capable of noticing behavioral changes much before we ourselves can. So, if they have pointed out abnormalities in your conduct, it is time to consider things seriously and go for a therapeutic session.
- Are you relying on any kind of external substance like alcohol, drugs, sex or food, in order to keep calm and feel better? If yes, then you are simply trying to numb certain feelings that require immediate attention. Suppressing emotions continuously could generate disastrous results in the long run. Thus, instead of wasting time, go for professional help as soon as you can.
- There are a wide-range of events starting from the death of a close one to divorce or breakup and job loss, which profoundly impacts one’s mind. Although we believe that ‘time heals everything’, in some cases these traumatic situations unfavorably affect the functioning of our day-to-day lives. In such cases, it would be helpful if you speak to a therapist, who would allow you to let things go.
- Being emotionally unwell could actually affect your physical health. According to latest studies, stress has a tendency of manifesting itself in the form of varied health issues like headaches, less libido, joint pains, frequent colds and stomach upset. If your immune system is going through such a rundown, it is time to talk to a counselor.
According to the reputed therapists offering individual counseling in Los Angeles, if a person has noticed any of the above-mentioned signs, he/she must instantaneously contact a therapist.